Leigh-Anne and I made a seriously delicious Chocolate & Sweet Potato Cake on Expresso Show yesterday morning. This cake is really delicious, the addition of Sweet Potato gives the cake a seriously rich flavour as well as a very moist texture. I have done it in a big cake tin, the cake also works very well as cupcakes so feel free to bake it in any size, or shape you are feeling. Watch the vid above that will show you a step by step guide on making this great cake, otherwise see the recipe below. Either way, I hope you enjoy it.
½ cup coconut or vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
½ cup buttermilk (low fat)
½ tsp vanilla
2/3 cup cooked, mashed and cooled sweet potato
1 ¼ cup cake flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sour cream
1 ½ cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
a few drops vanilla
Crystallized pecan nuts, to decorate
1. Begin by pre-heating your oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm Cake tin.
2. Put the whisk attachment on your Kitchen-Aid and beat the oil, sugar and eggs together until you have a nice, smooth mixture (be sure to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl down now and then to make sure all your ingredients are well incorporated), continue beating on a medium speed for about 5 minutes.
3. Mix in half the sweet potato, then half the buttermilk, then the other half sweet potato and the other half buttermilk. Chuck in the Vanilla essence.
4. Sift your dry ingredients together and pour them into the Kitchen Aid bowl. Mix on a slow speed until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. (Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl)
5. Pour the cake batter into your lined cake tin and bake for approx 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. While your scrumptious cake is cooling, make the icing.
7. Using the whisk attachment, beat together the butter and sour cream until you have a light fluffy texture (about 4 minutes). Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until combined, add your vanilla essence and beat until you have a beautiful, smooth consistency.
8. Once your cake has cooled completely, turn the cake out onto a pretty plate, smother the top with your icing and garnish with candied Pecan Nuts.